Thursday, August 8, 2013

I happened to be posting and saw some yummy photos of doughnuts and had to find the source.  Apparently many people have been raving about Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee in Costa Mesa.  As I am always on the quest to find the best eats around.
There have been a lot of positive and negative reviews about this place.  Pros - fresh ingredients, fresh made doughnuts throughout the day, and friendly service.
 Cons - the price.  Sure it doesn't seem like there is that much of a con but is the doughnut worth the price?  I feel that is an important question and especially for me as this is not a close drive for me to come get a doughnut.  
Many reviewers mentioned that it is $40 for a dozen doughnuts, which makes my jaw drop wide open and not in a good way.  The Maple Bacon is $3.50 and the Huckleberry is $3.  I decided to try their infamous coffee that comes from Portland and chose the Iced Black Mocha that is $4.25.  In total my snack cost me $10.75 but since they were so friendly, I decided to leave a $1 tip.  =)  Still this is quite an expensive snack trip.
The Huckleberry was good and I liked that it was still moist in the middle.  There are bits of huckleberry embedded throughout the doughnut.  I liked the sweet flavor with a slight tartness.  It is not your typical doughnut, as the texture reminded me of a moist muffin.  The outer layer was nice and crisp encasing the soft center, but be sure to eat it fresh.
As always, I have to get anything with bacon on it! The Maple Bacon was just alright to me.  I agree with the reviews somewhat about this not being anything special.  The doughnut was solid but nothing different from what you get at your local doughnut shop.  They do add a good amount of bacon that's freshly grilled and crisp.  It is important to eat this one fresh as the bacon will start to lose it's tastiness as it sits there longer and loses its crispy texture.
Normally I am not that big of a coffee fan but I wanted to see what all the commotion was about.  Still, I need to have my cream and sugar for me to enjoy.  I debated between the Vietnamese Coffee and the Black Mocha.  Since I can get pretty good Vietnamese coffee in most places or make it at home, I decided to try the mocha as it is suppose to be laced with lots of dark chocolate. 
The drink was very rich and you can taste the flavor of the coffee.  I just wished it was a little sweeter.  There are bits of chocolate blended into the drink.  It's good to have a nice cool drink to beat the heat of the summer.
They have a lot of other seasonal doughnuts that sounded interesting, but nothing that would motivate me.  I read the reviews about their Strawberry Shortcake, but it didn't look as appetizing as I thought especially for $3.75. 
All in all it was a cute store with friendly service, but a bit on the pricier side.  Still, I am glad I got to try the two doughnuts I wanted and a cup of coffee so that I can say, "Been there, done that."  Maybe if it was closer to me then I would come back once in a blue moon for the Huckleberry or to see what flavors they may have.  I still prefer my Doughnut Plant and I would fly to NYC just to get that! O=D 
Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee
270 East 17th St, Ste 18 
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
(949) 887-2910
Sidecar Doughnuts and Coffee on Urbanspoon

Blog Widget by LinkWithin