Tuesday, November 25, 2008

So what do we need to try when we are down in San Diego? Well I am getting closer and closer to the border so I really need to try some of the Mexican restaurants in the Gas Lamp district. Ms. Lin looked up some rave reviews about La Puerta so since we couldn't really settle upon a decision, we decided to listen to the internet! ^_- We almost went past this place because there wasn't a clear sign for the restaurant's name. You just walk through a big door, hence La Puerta I guess. lol
We were starving and sore from walking so this was a great relief. They brought out water and I thought it tasted a little weird. Maybe I am not use to SD's filter, tap water? They brought out fresh Tortilla Chips and Salsas. We gobbled them down immediately. The chips were warm, thin, and crispy. Their salsa had a strong kick of spice and was really good.
One of my favorite things is Carne Asada Nachos and when we saw that they had Carne Asada Fries here, how could I resist! It's French Fries, Carne Asada, Cheese, Sour Cream, Guacamole, and Pico de Gallo. Everything was perfect! The flavors were on point and the fries were so crispy despite everything piled on it. It was definitely one of the best Carne Asada Fries I have ever had. Am I drooling onto my keyboard? I will definitely be back to order this again!
Okay I have a secret to tell... I have never had Mole! So when I saw Chicken Mole Enchiladas on the menu I had to give it a whirl! It's Grilled Chicken Breast, Ancho, Pasilla, Mulato, Chipotle, Mexican Chocolate, Sesame Seeds, and Sour Cream. This was definitely different and I can't really compare it to since I haven't had this dish. Still the flavor was a little odd but it grew on me. It tasted like a thick smoky gravy with a kick. I think it's interesting enough that I would want to order it again.
I chose to try the 3 Street Tacos combo with Carne Asada, Carnitas, and Ranchero Shrimp. The flavors were decent but I don't think this was anything special. I really wished I had ordered another Carne Asada Fries instead because that was so good. Ms. Lin ordered the Carne Asada Burrito. It's Steak, Guacamole, and Pico de Gallo. This was decent but for the same price, I would rather get the fries! The burrito was a little bit fat for my liking because it makes me think that it barely has any ingredients inside. I want my burritos brimming with ingredients like the fries were! Yum!
All in all it was not a bad place. Prices were around $9 and up. I will definitely come back for the Carne Asada Fries... if it weren't for that dish, the review would be lower.

La Puerta

560 4th Ave
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 696-3466
La Puerta on Urbanspoon

Blog Widget by LinkWithin