Sunday, July 26, 2015

I feel that everything that used to be a great deal just get worse and worse.  Outlets and shopping deals only progressively get worse as the trends catch on.  In the past I have gone to many of the Dine LA experiences and the first few years were great, but slowly it got worse and worse.  By chance I was up in LA all last week and decided to give Redbird a try.  Trekkie recommended it as his brother just went and it was literally right outside my hotel, so why not?
They are on Open Table so you can book and get some points as well.  They are located at the corner of Los Angeles Street and 2nd Street.
Their Dine LA lunch menu was $25 for an appetizer and a main course.  To get dessert it would be an additional $5.  I was already planning multiple stops so I didn't stay for dessert.
For the first course I decided to try their Chicken Pot Pie, which normally is $14 on the menu.  Inside was thigh meat, heart, and hen of the woods.  At first glance, it is very cute served in a pot.
The pastry on top was easily moved and you can see what's under.  There is only a crust on top and the bottom seemed very soupy.  At this point I was a little worried because it was so watery below, but I began to break the crust and mix it in.  This thickened the broth inside and gave it more texture.
The flavors were on point.  There was a healthy amount of ingredients inside and is quite filling.  I enjoyed the earthy flavor mixed in with the hen of the woods.
For the main course I chose the Gnoccheti Sardi.  Inside was rock shrimp, tomato confit, and fine herbs.  The gnoccheti was nicely cooked, al dente.  I thought the flavors were good, but I wished there was more shrimp in the dish.  It was disappointing that I bit into a shell while enjoying this dish.  I would have called them over but I was on a time constraint and just continued eating but with caution.  They should have offered some bread to go with the dish so that you can enjoy some of the excess sauce.
All in all the food was good but not mind blowing.  I had to deduct points for biting into the shell (the photo is on my Facebook Fan Page).  The service was friendly.  For Dine LA, it was not a bad deal and conveniently close to the hotel.

Redbird
114 E 2nd St
Los Angeles, CA 90012 
(213) 788-1191
Click to add a blog post for Redbird on Zomato

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin