Monday, December 18, 2017

After coming back from Japan, I've been craving okonomiyaki.  It's a specialty that came out of Osaka, where I visited. I found this delectable hole in the wall that spoke no English at all and only had a Japanese menu.  There's not many places to get okonomiyaki, even in So Cal!
So what's a girl to do when she has a craving?  Make her own! Answer solved! I've never made okonomiyaki and decided to do it on a whim.  Luckily OtaJoy by Otafuku at the Winter Fancy Food Show and they make it easy to create at home.  They have instructions on the back to show how to make it at home with some simple steps.  All you have to do is buy the few ingredients you need to create this masterpiece.  It's pretty much: pork belly, cabbage, their flour, their sauce, egg, and water.  
Even if it says you can use salad mixes, be sure to take the time and cut the cabbage.  It's the traditional way and the best tasting.  Of course I put extra pork belly inside.  Instead of putting it on layer by layer, I chop up the pork belly and mix it all in.  I don't have the traditional grill they use at restaurants so I just use a normal pan and lots of oil to pan fry the ingredients.  Be sure to use a paper towel to pat down the excess oil before you drizzle the sauces.  I was too lazy to find bonito flakes so I used some furikake to add more flavor.  So tasty! I make it all the time now :D

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin