Sunday, May 16, 2010

What is something new that I haven't tried up in SF and a little different from the usual. I saw reviews about So, a Korean place that is supposedly known for their wings. As soon as I saw the word wings, I marked them down as a must try. Finally I was able to go with Ms. Lin and Trekkie for a between meal snack. O=9 The location was a little bit hard to spot because only the windows are painted with the name So and the sign above the place still had the old Chinese restaurant name displayed. Only when I did the photo editing did I see that the door was cracked all the way... hmmmm... That aside, it is all about the food and not necessarily the locale or outer decor.
Since we went between lunch and dinner there wasn't much of a wait and we were seated immediately. Through the window we saw this couple eating a hot bowl of spicy ramen and since it was cold, Ms. Lin and Trekkie were very into trying out. We found out it was on the Spicy Soup Noodles section and ordered the Spicy Combination. It includes stir-fried Shrimp, Calamari, Mussels, Beef and Mixed Vegetables. On paper it sounded good and looked appetizing through the window on a cold day in SF. The bowl was massive and filled with ramen. As for taste... packaged ramen is much better tasting than this. The portion for $7.00 was not bad, but they missed the mark in taste and flavor. It was spicy but that was about it. One order can feed a party of 5 or more if you plan to order the other dishes.
I came here solely for the Wings! How can I deny myself some Korean Fried Chicken Wings! ^_^ After founding this close location I had to make my way here. The wings are deep fried in a light better and then tossed with Roasted Red Pepper, Garlic, Ginger, and Soy Sauce. I like how Korean wings always have a slight sweetness. It had a good amount of pepper flavor that made the wings popped. They were pipin' hot and fun to eat. I only wished that they pulled more of the chicken hairs off because they were long and clearly visible, but of course you can just bite it off. This was probably the most flavorful thing here.
People online recommended the So Black Bean Sauce Noodles and the thought of a potent noodle dish full of black bean flavor sounded fun to try out. Maybe I had too high of an expectation but this also fell flat. The noodles didn't really have any black bean flavor. The description said that the noodles are mixed in Black Bean Sauce, Pork, Scrambled Eggs, Jalapeños, Cayenne, and Paprika but we were given a gelatinous mess. Everything was stuck together in a glossy glue substance and the noodles weren't much more flavorful than regular soy sauce.

All in all I would say stick to the wings. The people there were nice and as time went on it got busier and people were waiting outside. I thought the wings were not bad but nothing else really hit the spot. Albeit, maybe I was too full for the day but I will also argue that good food can always be felt or even make one hungry again. O=) The price and portions are very reasonable and I could see people coming here if they just want a simple meal. No fuss, no muss.

So
1010 Bryant St
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 552-7676

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Can you tell me a great place to take my parent's for their 50th anniversary. Looking for a memorable venue, but they would like a great steak dinner. They enjoy Dal Rae in Pico Rivera, but I want them to try something different. Thanks for your help!

Kat said...

Sorry for the late reply, I have been really sick. My favorite steak house around was Turner New Zealand but they shut down. A memorable venue... hmmm I am not sure which one have the best decor. Maestro has a nice modern decor but I don't really like their steak. Instead their rack of lamb was delicious. I have yet to try Dal Rae in Pico Rivera, I wanted to try out the other steak house that is well known right off the 91. Would your parents like Brazilian BBQ? If they have never been they might enjoy the experience and you can enjoy tons of delicious seasoned meat. My friend also recommended the Pacific Dining Car, where the food and service is suppose to be good. There are a lot of places I can definitely recommend that are on my wishlist. So far, sadly, I have yet to find my new steak house after Turner New Zealand shut down. =*( I have been wanting to try Cut, which should be good but on the pricier side.

I hope this info helps, sorry if it came late. I hope your parent's have/had a wonderful 50th anniversary! Congratulations! I wish them a lifetime of happiness ^_^

Feel free to email me if you have more questions.

@Lydia, thank you for letting me know and thank you for those kind words. I hope you enjoy the site! Please keep reading and commenting, I love to hear from the readers!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin