Sunday, January 30, 2011

I certainly have died and gone to heaven for receiving a thoughtful gift from Ms. Lin. She brought me Truffle Honey straight from Italy. My one regret is that I didn't open that jar and savor it right away! Still, I am super grateful that I have this wonderful jar made with real truffles and not infused with the normal chemical truffle essence that you smell from truffle oils. Don't get me wrong, I adore the real stuff and appreciate the synthetic as well. One whiff and it sends my head reeling!
After I returned from SF, I had a huge craving for fine gourmet cheeses and The Cheese Store of Pasadena was the perfect solution. The best way to eat pungent cheeses is to add a dab of honey or a cut honeycomb to bring out the natural savory taste of the cheese. It is a great contrast to any salt crystal formations in the cheese. My favorite is to pair honey or honeycombs with a strong pungent blue cheese like the Blue de Bocage I bought at The Cheese Store of Pasadena. The strong flavor looms in the mouth and is enhanced by a well crafted honey, truffle honey, or honey comb to add a whole new layer of flavor. Try it out at home! Once you start, you just might never stop.
As soon as you pop the lid of this truffle honey, the aroma just fills the air and you are sent to cloud nine. Unfortunately I waited a little too long so the smell was greater than its taste. Ms. Lin informed me that I am missing out because she ate it fresh after the trip and it was just unbelievable! Thanks for telling me that NOW! Still, I am super grateful for the thoughtful gift. I am currently experimenting with my own truffles to infuse the scent and flavor into my own jars of honey.
I simply can't take my eyes off the gorgeous slices of real truffle embedded in the honey. Will have to save those special slices for a very special occasion to enjoy! When I do, I will make sure that I have all the right components so that I will be sent to foodie nirvana. My biggest regret is that I didn't buy the fabulous artisan bread at The Beverly Cheese Store of Pasadena. The bread I used was a multi-grain from Cream Pan. Even though they make fabulous pastries, the bread was not meant to be paired with pungent cheeses. My advice is to go simple on the bread because you don't want too many flavors fighting for your tastebud's attention.
Hope you find a wonderful jar of truffle honey in your local store and sit down to enjoy it to the last bite!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to buy this truffle honey in Paris. Any idea where I can buy it in the US?

Kat said...

I haven't bought it in the US b/c I go to Europe every year to stock up. Amazon seems to have some that you can ship directly to your house =) http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=honey+truffle&tag=googhydr-20&index=grocery&hvadid=45327101267&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7764557206231798536&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7h49gnpdv7_b

I believe Whole Foods and Bristol Farms should have it. Hope you get some tasty truffle honey soon. Bon Appetit!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin