Thursday, March 15, 2012

The first time I went to The House was when I took a bunch of pals on a foodie tour of the city. Ever since then, I have always had a great memory of the place. Finally one day I was able to convince Ms. Lin to go with me. Ironically, she never recommended The House to me but after I went last year and gave it glowing reviews she decided to return.The House is a cozy restaurant located in the heart of North Beach. Their menu consists of a great selection of Asian fusion cuisine. We stopped by for 2nd lunch after a quick grab at Naked Lunch, which was very close by.
On the place mats they have hole punched a small house into the sheet to represent their namesake, which I find very cute. To start the meal off they brought us some pickled cucumbers to nibble on.
It's always a good idea to call ahead for seating or to make reservations since they are always very busy and they are a small restaurant. If you can't get in, I recommend take out because you don't want to miss out. I wish I lived closer because I would want the Deep Fried Salmon Rolls! It's definitely my favorite item here. Paired with Chinese hot mustard to add that extra kick. The roll is perfectly fried where you can enjoy the slightly cooked salmon near the shell yet enjoy the smooth texture of raw salmon inside. It's a perfect pick me up for any time of the day.
The special for the day offered Barbecued Oysters, which Ms. Lin decided to get. We agreed to share but I really rather had more of the deep fried salmon roll. I don't think this is what she expected. The oysters were tender but I didn't enjoy the heavy BBQ sauce. I prefer eating raw oysters.
Ms. Lin decided to be adventurous and ordered the Steamed Mussels in Garlic infused Shrimp Broth for her lunch. This dish was not bad but nothing out of the ordinary for me. I thought the presentation was very nice with the colored cucumber and masago, but an appetizer as a main course would not have been enough for me.
Ever since Ms. Lin brought some left overs back from The House of their Warm Wasabi House Noodles with Grilled Pork, I have been a huge fan since. I love dousing it with tons of wasabi sauce to really get your motors going. The pork is always very tender and flavorful and the noodles are just the right texture. All the flavors come together harmoniously with a little pizazz. Great fresh at the table or even when you are eating out of a take-out box leisurely on your couch in front of the TV.
All in all I really enjoy The House. The staff there is always friendly and the food is always solid. Even the prices are very reasonable for SF. A great place to take friends from out of town and just for yourself to enjoy! Don't forget to try those tasty deep fried salmon rolls when you are there.

The House
1230 Grant Ave
San Francisco, CA 94133
(415) 986-8612
House on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin