Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I have been meaning to try out Layer Cake Bakery afer reading some reviews online. I'm always up for a new adventure and looking for a nice place for some great pastries. It just happened that Tofu was back in town for a short while and we were at an impasse on what to eat for a late lunch or what to do afterwards. We ended up staying pretty local and went to the California Fish Grill. Luckily Tofu really enjoyed it and we were just looking for some place light to hang out. I used his phone and mapped out what was really close. By chance I saw that Layer Cake Bakery was super close so we decided to give it a shot. The decor is very simple and clean. They are right next door to a milk tea place, Tapioca Express I think. There were a lot of different cakes and pastries displayed. I thought that they all "looked" good, being the key word.
By chance the cake that I wanted to try was the same as Tofu. He ended up getting the Tres Leches Cake and I decided to get some small snacks instead. Like I said, the cake looked very nice as a whole in the display case. We were both excited to try out the cake but we found it be a bit on the dry side. You couldn't really taste the Tres Leches. =*( We were both a bit let down and water was needed to wash down the cake. As for the small desserts I got, they were just plain and forgettable too. I was excited to try the Macaron, Chocolate Dipped Macaroon, and the Mexican Wedding Cookie. Everything was a bit dry, except the macaron. It was decent, but Tofu and I know that Coconut 2 makes way better ones. I am a big fan of coconut but the macaroon here was very dry and didn't have the chewy texture that I love. The cookie was just aiight, it is meant to be dry and crumbly but there really was no flavor. Everything looked nice but I am more about the taste.Don't get me wrong, the people here are really nice but this was not outstanding bakery. I am glad I got to try it and cross it off my list. The store looks very nice and quaint. All the pastries looked delectable but maybe I just tried the wrong things. Maybe one day down the road I will go back to try their other selections, but for now I wouldn't recommend the stuff that we got. As a place named for cake, you would think that would be their specialty....

Layer Cake Bakery
4250 Barranca Pkwy
Irvine, CA 92604
(949) 786-0223
Layer Cake Bakery on Urbanspoon

1 comments:

Ape_o said...

you should've tried their red velvet!~ yummiesssssss

Blog Widget by LinkWithin