Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Am I burger fan? Not necessarily but I do enjoy a succulent and juicy slab of meat from time to time. After attending so many Burger Bashes how can I NOT be a burger fan? When they are good... they are GOOOOD! I am a picky eater and I make no exception for hamburgers because I rather have a steak than ground up meat. So I never actively seek a burger unless it has been around the block because I am not easy to please! What's all the buzz these days? Five Guys Burgers & Fries have moved to So Cal. With their most recent location in Huntington Beach I had to stop by since I was at another event nearby.
As you open the doors and walk in, the first things you see are not just the red and white tile decor but the massive amount of signs telling you how good their burgers are! Hmm... humble much? lol It's funny how much they are telling you who loves them. Plastered from wall to wall are magazine write ups and quotes. The lines are formed by using sacks of their special potatoes that they use for their fries.
So is all the hype true? Is it all just a gimmick? Does all the advertising in your face really work? Well...
I decided to try their 100% Fresh Beef burgers that are made with no fillers, no preservatives, and trans fat free. All their meat is cooked juicy and well done. You can choose your own toppings or even all of them and it is free. I decided on the Bacon Cheeseburger, $6.29, which has 2 thick patties. For my toppings I chose Mayo, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Grilled Onions, Grilled Mushrooms, and Ketchup. To be honest I do think the burgers are a bit pricey but at least it is one filled up burger. Open up wide to sink your teeth into this thick and juicy burger. They come wrapped up in foil so the burger gets a little scrunched but the size definitely did not shrink nor did it lose its flavor.
Did the gimmick work? After seeing those massive 50 lb. bags of potatoes I thought that their fries must be good! Right? Well I was greedy and got a Large Cajun Fries for $4.49 to munch on. I wasn't blown away by the fries. They were nice thick cuts but the flavor didn't stand out much. Also, those were some pricey fries man!
Don't forget to grab some peanuts to snack on while you wait for your burger!
All and all I enjoyed the burger. I know this is going to stir up some controversy but I think this is much better than In N Out but it is also much more expensive than In N Out... My whole meal with a drink ended up being $15 for burger, fries, and soda. Ouch! That was a dent in the wallet but nonetheless it was tasty! =) Am I willing to drive 30-40 minutes for this burger? Nah, but I left a happy customer and would come back if I am in the neighborhood.

Five Guys Burgers & Fries
18645 Beach Blvd.
Huntington Beach, CA 92648
(714) 861-4448
Five Guys Burgers & Fries on Urbanspoon

10 comments:

Griffin said...

$15?!?!?!? PASS!

Jennifer said...

Kat, your tastebuds are too refined for these burgers =P

Kat said...

Griffin - that is what I thought too... but still I tried it out. Maybe next time I just get a burger and bring my own soda and eat in the car! lol The fries are NOT worth the price @_@

Jennifer - welcome! I haven't heard from you in a while =D My tastebuds are refined but I enjoy all foods. I actually disdain burgers but after all the Burger Bashes I am willing and a little bit scared to eat all the burgers. I had all the best ones and NYC and Miami, but they were good =) The one at Five Guys is not bad. It's like a bridge to high-end burgers... at least the price is getting there @_@ lol

Anonymous said...

Was always curious about the five guys burgers, great to have your review!

OCEater said...

Kat, your review is dead on. I like Five Guys, but would not be willing to drive a half an hour to have it. If they wanted to open one up by house, that would be a different story. Thanks for the post!

Kat said...

5 Star Foodie - Hope you get to try it soon =D

OCEater - Thanks! =D Yah it is so far from us! Don't know if it is worth the long drive. Good solid burgers but I am NEVER getting those fries again @_@ Might as well get another burger at that rate ^_-

DanGarion said...

$15 bucks? It's because you got the biggest thing of everything. The wife and I went to the Orange one yesterday, we got 1 Cheeseburger (that's the 2 patty), 1 Little Cheeseburger (single patty), a small fry (because that is more than enough for two people if not three), and a large and medium drink. Total damage $16 bucks.

raybanoutlet001 said...

polo ralph lauren
ralph lauren outlet
new york jets jerseys
true religion outlet
nike factory outlet
tory burch outlet
nike soccer shoes
cowboys jerseys
nike outlet
louboutin shoes

QQQQQQQQQ said...

michael kors handbags
yeezy boost
christian louboutin
off white clothing
ferragamo belt
pandora charms
nike flyknit
adidas yeezy
nike sneakers for men
cheap oakley sunglasses

Unknown said...

qzz0616
nike presto
golden state warriors jerseys
cheap jordans
kate spade outlet
10 deep clothing
kobe 9
ray ban sunglasses
moncler jackets
clippers jerseys
reebok trainers

Blog Widget by LinkWithin