Sunday, October 17, 2010

Where have I been? Even though I know SF pretty well and am always on a food exploration, I've never been to The Sentinel until now! =D Maybe it was fate that I happened to find some reviews of this place and set out on a new journey. A last minute decision to squeeze in a mobile lunch in SF turned out to be an adventure. Even though I was keeping an eye out for the location, somehow we drove right by the The Sentinel. There's no turning back now, literally because it is a one way street. We just parked and I had to run back to find the place. I caught them as they were closing that Friday, but the lady said that there was no worries because they were still cleaning up and I was fine. Did I mention that they are so sweet and have wonderful service!
Somehow I was on a roll that trip in SF because I kept getting free drinks from sandwich places. The lady offered me a choice between Raspberry and Watermelon Juice. I chose the Watermelon Juice that had a slight hint of mint, which was refreshing. They are not open for the weekend so any leftovers on Friday would just go to waste so they offered it to me, which was a great way to start the weekend. I would definitely invest in trying out some of their drinks.
What to order... I thought the albacore sandwich sounded good, but little did I know it was more like a tuna salad sandwich. Of course it was not your typical sandwich. Filled with freshly chopped crisp green beans that give the sandwich an extra bite. Not flaky from the can kind of tuna, but whole chunks of fish. Flavor-wise it was a little too light for my taste.
I really shouldn't be so prejudice about food. When a place is KNOWN for a dish or element, you should really order that so-called item. The Sentinel's signature sandwich is their Reuben Sandwich made with Corned Beef, Cabbage, Swiss Cheese (Gruyère), and Russian Dressing. OH MY! I'm a believer now! What was I thinking when I scoffed at this sandwich? I'm so glad that Ms. Lin decided to stick with the signature and allow me bites of her sandwich. To be honest, after the first bite I was thinking about running away with the sandwich. Even now I'm craving this juicy and savory hunk of a sandwich. All the flavors and ingredients just work!

All in all great food and great service. The lady was the sweetest and a pleasure to meet. Absolutely loved and recommend the corned beef sandwich above all else but I will not stop trying their other sandwiches. They've earned the trust and re-visit! I'll be up soon and definitely going to go back to satisfy this urge! =)

The Sentinel
37 New Montgomery St
San Francisco, CA 94105
(415) 284-9960
The Sentinel on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin