Friday, March 25, 2011

I wish I could always go there just to fill up on Toro-don and maybe an added bonus of their infamous Kuro ramen. For me, it is all about the amount of toro you get for such a great price! They have great lunch sets and everyone knows it. So if you plan on stopping by for a quick lunch, it might be a little tough with the wait. If you come towards the end of lunch hour you won't have to wait as long. Either way, it is worth the wait! Not only will you be full and satisfied, but your wallet will thank you.
While you wait for the food you can snack on their homemade Kimchi on the table. My only qualm is that there are times where I have bitten into chunks of salt that scare me because it felt like I might have cracked a tooth on them. Still, that won't stop me because I will just be extra cautious on the next bite.
The word Kuro in Japanese means black. Around 1960 in a little shop on the street corner of Hitoyoshi City, known as Kyushu's Little Kyoto. There they prepare the ramen with browned garlic that was called "Kuro Ma Yu" and later know as "Kuro Ramen". Here at Maru Ichi, they make fresh homemade noodles daily. Each of the ramen includes an Egg, Chashu (Roast Pork), Seaweed, Bean Sprouts, and Green Onions. For the Kuro Ramen they used Browned Garlic and a Pork & Chicken Soup.
I love the mixture of black and brown. The Kuro Ramen is definitely different from your every day ramen. If you look closely, you would think the black are oil drops that stay separate from the soup. The soup is very flavorful, aromatic, and rich. I do think the soup is on the heavier side but tasty nonetheless. How you can balance the heavier palate is getting the Toro-don to complement the dish.
Nowadays I cheat and just order the Toro-don because it's such a great deal. For around $5 you can get a full-sized bowl of chopped toro and green onions topped off with shredded seaweed is a dream come true. Fortunately eating with Ms. Lin, I can rely on her to order the Kuro Ramen set and steal a few bowls of the ramen while reveling in my own mix of heaven. I am still amazed that they can offer toro at such a low price and they definitely don't cut down on the portion. Everything is fresh and finely chopped. One plus is that I have yet to find any scales mixed in. You can always ask for more wasabi like I do to add that extra special kick mixed in with soy sauce. I wish I could find a place like this closer to home because I'd be there every day! Oishii おいしい
Maru Ichi Japanese Noodle House
368 Castro
Mountain View, CA 94041
Maru Ichi on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

Cliff said...

Those portions look huge! Guess you get your money's worth :D

Kat said...

The portions are big =) and well worth the price. One time I was thinking about just getting 2 toro-don's for lunch but luckily I started with one order b/c I was full before I even finished =p

raybanoutlet001 said...

polo ralph lauren
ralph lauren outlet
new york jets jerseys
true religion outlet
nike factory outlet
tory burch outlet
nike soccer shoes
cowboys jerseys
nike outlet
louboutin shoes

Unknown said...

vans shoes
nike sneakers
vapor max
calvin klein outlet
prada glasses
pandora charms
vapormax
kobe basketball shoes
pandora jewelry
nike running shoes
pure boost

QQQQQQQQQ said...

adidas yeezy
stephen curry 5
vapor max
nfl jerseys
balenciaga
gucci belt
100% real jordans for cheap
michael kors outlet
kyrie 4
derrick rose shoes

Unknown said...

qzz0616
michael kors outlet
nba jerseys
kate spade outlet
canada goose jackets
ugg outlet
jimmy choo shoes
pandora charms
merrell shoes
nhl jerseys
canada goose outlet

zzyytt said...

yeezy boost 350
huarache shoes
yeezy boost 350 v2
yeezy boost 350
longchamp handbags
nike shox
ray ban sunglasses outlet
off-white
yeezy boost 350
jordan 4

PalaPala said...

Pandora Jewelry Outlet
Jordans 11
Air Jordan 9
Red Bottom Shoes For Women
Air Max 270
Jordan 9
Kyrie Irving Shoes
Pandora Jewelry Official Site
Yeezy boost 350 v2
Latrice20190424

Blog Widget by LinkWithin