Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What is a girl to do after a long grueling one day trip to Vegas? Well, you need to find somewhere tasty and not too pricey. After all, I just dropped over 2 BILLS in Vegas. Yes, that is correct... Bills! $5 bills are only nickels and nothing more... or that's what they say... Bills are nothing either... it's only $100 @_@ Needless to say I needed a good and cost friendly meal to satisfy my hunger. Burumun recommended Chego! just for that. After a long debate and me missing the freeway, we arrived back in LA for some good ole comfort food. From the same man behind the infamous Kogi Truck, Chef Roy Choi set up a non-mobile location that offers great eats at a great price.
To be honest, I was quite skeptical because there's always so much hype about him and the Kogi Truck. After seeing what the Chubby Pork Belly Bowl ($8) I became a believer. Filled with succulent kurobuta chunks, fried egg, pickled watermelon radishes, water spinach, cilantro, cotija, and peanuts all atop freshly cooked rice. **drool drool** The flavor was immense and I love the many different layers of texture. It was good to the last bite! If only I knew, I would have stocked up with a few bowl for home so I can get my fill. First of all, you can never go wrong with pork belly! Not only that, they really pack a punch. The bowl is saucy, spicy, tangy, salty, and simply divine. At first I didn't mix up my bowl but after I started exploring it was just good eats upon good eats. =D
For dessert I chose to get their version of Tres Leches Cake ($4). They dropped the ball on this one a little because they never gave me my dessert but they were still very courteous. I loved the rice bowl but this could have been better IMHO. It is a chocolate tres leches with a nice crunchy top. Overall it was moist and good, but nothing special that I would recommend or get again. I say skip dessert and just have another tasty bowl! ^_~

All in all I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty those rice bowls were. I have been planning and thinking of when I can go back next to get my fill. If only it wasn't an hour PLUS drive to get this... sigh... I opt that the Kogi Truck start carrying this! =D Chego! is very chill. Just come in and order what you like. Everything is self serve and they are very environmentally conscious by using sustainable products. Can't finish the bowl of rice? Don't worry, the tops to the container are in the back for you to take it home.

Chego!

3300 Overland Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90034
(310) 287-0337
Chego on Urbanspoon

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great place, but the owner is stealing money. She is not paying out tips and fills her pockets. The Gov't needs to know!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin