Monday, November 22, 2010

After being denied the joy of trying Hawaiian Style Poke, I made it a goal to go when they are actually open. For some reason I always cut it close on time to Hawaiian Style Poke and this time they were open! Yay! Exhausted from driving and a little hungry I picked up greedily a bunch of ahi poke. Never buy under the influence of hunger! I bought way too much and no fridge to store the food. =*(
None of the fish were out on display so I sort of chose blindly. When I saw that they had a Garlic Ahi Poke, I had to have it. There was a good amount of garlic and the poke was very fragrant from the sesame oil. The only thing I wished was that it was more flavorful. It was a little on the bland side. Being so fragrant, I thought the taste would match up but it fell short.
Their most well known poke was the Ahi Limu Poke. Limu is Hawaiian for algae. This definitely was more unique and added a little more bite to the texture. Again this poke didn't really have much flavor to make it tasty. I actually thought this would have more citrus because I saw the word limu before I knew what it meant. If I was at home, I'd be able to add a couple more seasonings to really make this dish. Still, I shouldn't need to be the one flavoring it for taste.
I think the Shoyu Ahi Poke was the least flavorful because it was just huge fresh cubes of tuna loaded down with sesame oil. The soy sauce didn't help give the whole thing more flavor. It felt a little one dimensional with soy being the only source of flavor, salty.
All in all I really regret buying sooooooo much. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that they ran out of the raw crab. They were super nice and friendly but the food just wasn't good enough IMHO. I should have asked if I could try any of it. Don't know if they would have let e but the other really yummy poke place in Vegas I found did. Stay tuned for that mouth-watering review!

Hawaiian Style Poke
3524 Wynn Rd
Las Vegas, NV 89103
(702) 202-0729

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sux! i hate when that happens!

Kat said...

I know! I was so sad that it turned out so disappointing! I took the pics while I was in the store and I thought... Wow this looks yummy! Can't wait to try it when I get back to the hotel... and then disappointment =*(

Blog Widget by LinkWithin