Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Don't you just love Happy Hours? You get to sample popular places like Prospect without putting a huge dent into your wallet. Although, I think I get order happy and end up with a huge bill at the end! lol Their bar area was PACKED for a Friday night. Be sure to get there with plenty of time because there is limited seating and sometimes people reserve part of the bar area. Quick tip: Don't be afraid to be aggressive and just squeeze! There is also nothing wrong with one person seated and the other one hovering over you at the bar to enjoy drinks and food.
The bartender was super nice and sweet! Even though they were super busy he was still very attentive and had a great smile. You could feel the sincerity and warm atmosphere so a huge plus in all the crowdedness.
Ms. Lin started the night with a Fleur d'Orange, $5. It is a mix of Citrus Vodka, St. Germain Elderflower Liquor, Sparkling Wine, Soda, and Orange Twist. The drink was refreshing and a great value. There were a few potent potables that looked and sounded good, but I will wait until next time to try.
Limited seating and time limits don't mix because you have to make quick and greedy decisions! I ordered one of everything except the Chickpea Fritters, because let's face it... I need my meat! There wasn't enough time for us to try the dish and order another round of the dishes before last call. That day I was very well behaved and only ordered one to try rather than over order.
All the appetizers were $5 each and that night they offered a Foie Gras & Truffle Mousse served with Toasted Sourdough. Really? For only $5? Bring it on! The mousse was nice and smooth. I was surprised at how generous the portion was. Even though it is suppose to have truffles inside, I couldn't really taste or smell the flavor. You can definitely taste the foie gras so I am not complaining! The only down side was it came with 4 small pieces of toast. We probably could have asked for more bread but we didn't want to be a bother.
Luckily there were some Kennebee Chips left over to top off with the foie gras & truffle mousse. I make do with what I got. The French Onion Dip that came with the chips was nicely seasoned and had a smooth texture. A tribute to good ol'fashioned potato chips and dip.
The Pork Belly encased in Steamed Buns with Brussels Sprouts and Miso was only so-so. It is Prospect's version of "gua bao", a typical Taiwanese snack. The pork belly needed to be cooked just a tad longer for the meat to melt in your mouth. My piece didn't have enough savory flavor. I personally make super delicious pork belly so I am a tough one to please.
They offered Trotter Tots with Lobster Aioli, Salsa Verde, and Capers. I think I was a little confused because I was expecting fried lobster but it was really fried pork. Still, I am not one to turn away bite-sized fried meat. Can't really remember anything good or bad about this dish, but I do think they did a nice job on the batter and crispy texture.
Ms. Lin is a huge fan of oysters so we were happy to see Fried Oysters served with Tasso Aioli on the $5 bites. The batter on the oysters wasn't as crisp as the trotters, but they were plump and juicy. Again, there was nothing wrong with this dish but nothing really stood out either.
What sounded really good was their Flat Bread with Bacon, Caramelized Onions, and Gruyere Cheese. How can you go wrong with bacon and melted cheese? The bacon was more like slices of ham and there wasn't much melted cheese. For me, the dish was a little on sweet side and had no savory characteristics. Maybe it was the caramelized onions that were too sweet but I also think the bacon didn't hold its end of the deal by bringing in the salty/savory component.
All in all I thought the bartender was super nice and welcoming. The food... was not bad but nothing special. I am glad I got to try their small bites to get a taste of what their restaurant might be like because their dining room menu is a bit more on the pricier side. This is why I love that they have a Happy Hour where you can still try them at but at a fraction of the cost. If I had to pay a lot for the food and drinks, I would have given them a harsher review. It is all about weighing the cost and taste. They do change their bites menu and if the next time I am up there they offer a good selection, I just might return.

Prospect
300 Spear St
San Francisco, CA 94105
(415) 247-7770
Prospect on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin