Monday, May 7, 2012

 
Traveling to Brea Downtown on a Sunday morning and I had a hankering for some tasty treats.  Ironically I wanted a cupcake and happened to come across Merely Sweets on the way to TAPS Fish House & Brewery.  My main motivation were the cupcakes but it turns out I found a bunch of macarons and other treats instead.  Even though I did pick up a cake, I never really ate it because I bought so many other treats.  O=)
Since it was still early in the morning, there wasn't that many patrons yet and I took the opportunity to take some photos.  It was a very cute little shop.  The colors stood out against the clean white walls.  I enjoyed the cake displays and the fun macaron cakes.
There's also a station where the cooking supplies are displayed that look like a lot of fun.  It would be fun to create and decorate there.
After I finished taking pictures, I left for brunch and came back on my way out.  As I was heading out in the morning, I noticed some people buying the banana pudding.  It stuck in my mind and the other foodies at the brunch party spoke highly of it as well.  So of course on the way back I had to grab some to try for myself and share it with some good friends, including Eating My Way Through OC.  =) It was tasty, light, and refreshing.
On a whim, I ended up picking up a dozen macarons.  I loved the vibrant display case.
Originally I was going to only try a few but there were so many flavors so I caved and ended up with a dozen macarons.  Don't know why but I didn't think about what flavors to get and just decided to have one of everything along with an extra salted caramel.  It's just my personal preference, but I should have taken the time and think about the flavors since there are a few that I am not normally fond of.  
 
The flavors that stuck out and are worth a repeat were : Salted Caramel, Green Tea, Peanut Butter & Jelly, and I think the Earl Grey.
Definitely eat them while they are fresh.  I tried a few on the first day and they were moist.  For me, I personally like the shells to be crisper and the inner layer of the shell to be slightly more chewy for that extra texture.
   
It was a little too soft for me but the flavors were still good and I learned to eat the flavors you like first so that you can enjoy it more! I use to save the best for last but I am approaching life in a new way these days.  The good thing about the center being softer than the other macarons I have had before is that saving it for the next few days.
Not pictured, a friend recommended the Wall Flowers that looked like Madeleines.  They are nutty cakes that were very flavorful and nicely crafted.  I was a little bad and didn't eat these until a few days later.  To my surprise they were still moist and tasty.  The next time I am there I will be sure to pick some up and eat them fresh.
All in all it was a nice new find.  Even though I never made it to my cupcake and gave it away, I will have to buy another cupcake on my next visit.  I thought the staff there was friendly and made the experience more enjoyable.  Everything that I tried was solid.  Since I don't live close, I think I went a little crazy and bought way too much.  Everything in moderation and it's best to eat it fresh.  Next time around, I will pick up enough for that day or the next at most. 
 
Merely Sweets
260 W Birch St
Brea, CA 92821
(714) 529-9909
Merely Sweets on Urbanspoon
 

6 comments:

OCEater said...

Wow, two posts in the same month! I am very proud of you! Keep it up!

Kat said...

Haha I've been spoiling you with reviews huh? Now you expect them 0;)
Hope my favorite couple is doing well!! When are we going to Side Door?? ;)

Lindsay said...

You have beautiful pictures! I borrowed some to put in my review of my visit here. I gave photo credit, but let me know if it is not adequate. http://mommyssweetconfessions.blogspot.com/2012/07/food-review-merely-sweets-brea-ca.html

Great post by the way!

Anonymous said...

coach outlet
longchamp outlet
mulberry outlet
michael kors uk
michael kors handbags
yeezy boost
pandora soldes
adidas shoes
mulberry uk
adidas nmd
mt0720

raybanoutlet001 said...

oakley sunglasses
vikings jerseys
texans jerseys
ed hardy clothing
cheap ray bans
nike blazer
coach outlet store online
true religion jeans
cheap jordans
tods shoes

Unknown said...

qzz0616
moncler outlet
supreme clothing
michael kors outlet
arcteryx jacket
wellensteyn jackets
canada goose outlet
pandora charms
puma outlet
belstaff jackets
michael kors

Blog Widget by LinkWithin