Monday, March 9, 2009

As you all know, I love Newport Tan Cang Seafood in San Gabriel. On Thursday I went to check out the Newport Tan Cang Seafood in Santa Ana since I had a huge down time before my dinner at Kaori Sushi with friends. I debated on where to go because Veggie Girl needs a place where she can forage for food and I can hunt! lol O=9 It was pretty out of the way and located in a sketchy-ish area. The place was pretty deserted around 3:30PM, which is not a surprise. They didn't give us a lunch menu =*( so we had to order off the regular menu. The decor was a little bit dinky and just lots of white. It was your typical low-class Asian joint. They need to come out of the Dark Ages and start accepting credit cards! Warning! Cash Only! =*(
I debated for a while about what to order because my favorite thing is the Newport Special Lobster. They were $14.99 per lb. and the smallest starts around 4lbs! I was torn because I really wanted lobster but I also knew that I would be eating a full $50 dinner in a few hours... with the possibility of lobster... which I did get! ^_- In the end I forgo the delicious lobster and tried the Bò Lúc Lắc, which is the Vietnamese-French Style Beef. Normally I am a big fan because it should be tender chunks of Filet Mignon in a thick Black Pepper Soy Sauce. The flavor was decent but waaaay too congealed. It was a bit gunky and had too much baking soda flavor. Blech! For $12... I've definitely had better. The Lime they gave was also really dry so it was really hard to add the tangy citrus kick.
Veggie Girl decided to get the Bean Curd in Brown Sauce. This dish came out smelling really good and the sauce was flavorful. I even ate some Snow Peas! lol The Bean Curd was only alright to me because it was a bit overcooked and dry, but luckily the sauce made up for it. I am glad that Veggie Girl really liked it and the portion was pretty good. She ate a ton of rice with it ^_-. Unfortunately I was grossed out because I found a huge and LONG piece of lint embedded in the rice! >=O Geh! That really made me gag but I just smiled so that we can enjoy the meal.
At the end they gave us a Red Bean Dessert Soup. As soon as I saw the color, I knew I wouldn't like it so I didn't even bother to take a sip. BLECH! I hate Red Bean. Veggie Girl actually liked it first bite and then didn't afterwards. It's a free small dessert to end the meal so it's all good. The gigantic crabs in the background really caught Veggie Girl's eyes so we had to snap a photo! ^_- Imagine this big thing chasing after you and trying to eat you! lol Luckily we eat it! Mwahaha! O=9
All in all it does NOT hold a candle to the SG location. I would not recommend this place. The service was only so-so at best and they didn't even have a drink menu like the SG location. =*( There wasn't really much promise to make me want to go back there. Luckily I had some delicious Lobster Sashimi later that night! Thanks Gino! ^_-

Newport Tan Cang Seafood

4411 W 1st St
Santa Ana, CA 92703
(714) 531-5146
Newport Tan Cang Seafood Restaurant on Urbanspoon

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that this place didn't meet your expectations. But the lobster sashimi sounds good :)

mattatouille said...

I came here first for the lobster before going to the SGV location and found the lobster to be very good. Definitely comparable to SGV.

TeriBeri said...

Kat, so sorry it was not a good experience for you. But you did have an awesome dinner later that night :p Ready to go back to the SGV one?

Kat said...

So glad to see you back 5 Star Foodie! I missed you! Hope you had an AWESOME time in London! ^_^

The lobster sashimi was good and it was fun.

Hey Mattatouille, because it is you... I'd give the restaurant another go ^_- The lobster was so tempting but I was already going to spend $50-$75 for dinner, I didn't want 1st dinner to be as much. lol Darn myself for being cheap and skipping out on the lobster! It probably would've been 100x better! lol Although the huge lint in the rice did gross me out a bit.

TeriBeri,
Any time! ^_- Is that an invitation? ^_- I am always willing to make a trip up to SGV for great food! lol heck I was just there Sunday! haha O=9

TeriBeri said...

You got it!

Kat said...

haha Let me know TeriBeri! I'd definitely love to meet you and grab some great food as a bonus ^_- we could even do a food crawl!

When are you thinkin?

TeriBeri said...

I love to meet u 2. So, how do we go about this?

FoodDigger said...

Hi Kat. I love the picture of the king crab!

My name is Will and I'm with www.fooddigger.com. We're a food review site and we've been bringing together bloggers for food and conversation. We've had some great meals together, with our next meal planned for Church and State this Thursday, April 23rd at 8:15. We'd love to meet you and enjoy some food and wine. Some bloggers already coming are Kevin of Kevineats.com and Danny of Kungfoodpanda.blogspot.com. Please let me know if you're interested. Best,

Will
Fooddigger.com
will@fooddigger.com

Kat said...

Thanks so much for the invite Will. I'm excited to meet everyone tomorrow. ^_^ **must charge cameras up now! lol**

TeriBeri said...

email please :)

raybanoutlet001 said...

san antonio spurs jerseys
polo ralph lauren outlet
ray ban sunglasses
polo ralph lauren
ray ban sunglasses
miami heat jersey
ravens jerseys
converse trainers
chicago bulls jersey
adidas superstar

QQQQQQQQQ said...

nike zoom
jordan 13
nike air zoom
dior glasses
cheap mlb jerseys
zx flux
adidas outlet online
tory burch shoes
golden goose outlet
lebron soldier 11

Unknown said...

qzz0616
kd 9
canada goose jackets
ed hardy clothing
cheap jordans
ray ban sunglasses
pelicans jerseys
michael kors outlet
christian louboutin outlet
malone souliers
prada outlet

Blog Widget by LinkWithin