Sunday, March 28, 2010

From delicious to bootylicious and a new breed of lingo, Sushilicious! What's next? =) After a full meal of AYCE KBBQ at Shik Do Rak, Holly asked if I'd like to meet her at Sushilicious... Needless to say I was a little baffled. What kind of place is called Sushilicious??? It is a kaiten place, revolving sushi bar. Yes, I'm crazy... I agreed to join her for 2nd diner. O=9 It was near closing time when we arrived and we were given a friendly greeting by the manager. We sat down at the sushi bar near the sushi chef Takashi. The server and chef were very friendly.

Everything was a bright neon color. The decor almost reminds me of being in a frozen yogurt store. The hip neon minimalist approach gives off a snazzy feeling. Everything in the store was personally chosen by the owners. They try to give a modern hip feeling. Everything was very clean and new. Since it was close to closing time there wasn't much food on the belt, but that is okay because you can just order it directly. ^_^ If you are a picky eater or just want freshly made dishes then feel free to flag a server down to order or order directly from the sushi chefs. I recently discovered that there are microchips under each plate to monitor the freshness of the fish so that no dish would be sitting on there for longer than 45 mins.
Holly started off the night with some Philadelphia Roll, I think it is actually called something else. Still, it is the same ingredients of Salmon, Avocado, and Cream Cheese. I kept my eye on the revolving plates to see the different creations that they offer. They have a Medusa Roll that is Soft Shell Crab added into a California Roll. Since it was close to the ending of the night, they made it fresh for us. For $4 you get half a roll. The sushi chef was very friendly and offered us the other half of the roll on the house.
My favorite of the night was the Sushicalifragilisticexpialidocious Roll. The name alone was enough to catch the eye, but the description below sounded like a good combo. It is Crab, Cucumber, Avocado, Rice, and Lettuce all wrapped in Soy Paper with Rock Shrimp Tempura on top. Maybe some of you don't know but I am really like soy paper rolls. O=9 That was a big drive of why I had to have this roll. They made a fresh roll and the shrimp was piping hot with just the right crispness! The sauce drizzled on top went well with the shrimp tempura. It is a lot of fun trying to eat it all in one bite. I asked for another order because I really like it.
We also asked for a Shrimp Tempura Roll. Inside was Shrimp Tempura, Crab, Avocado, and Cucumber with Tempura Flakes on top. Personally I like the Sushicalifragilisticexpialidocious Roll more. O=9 Of course it is just preference. I enjoyed the juicy rock shrimp on top versus the elongated shrimps inside the roll. Still both are good, how can you deny fried shrimp?For dessert I saw that they have Tempura Ice Cream, so I had to try it out. Holly and I decided to share one since we were both full. Alas, they were out of Green Tea, but they recommended Mango so we tried that one out. I was a little sad that they were out but Mango is not a bad second. The batter around the ice cream was crisp on the outside and moist on the inside. It was just the right thickness. The mango ice cream was good too. I actually have been back since that night and I think the mango is better. O=9
We were pleasantly surprised when Jeremy came and told us that this was all on the house. He said that he wanted us to try them out at peak hours so that we can taste them at their best and we were really only snacking. I kindly declined but he insisted so we decided to leave a nice tip. We were also introduced to Daniel and had a really nice long chat. Everyone there was super friendly and you could tell they were passionate about what they do. I thank Holly for introducing this place to me. Just within a week I brought a friend back to enjoy a quick sushi fix. Of course to also observe them at peak hours and try more items. Check back for the repeat visit review ^_^.

Sushilicious
15435 Jeffrey Rd.
Ste 119
Irvine, CA 92618
(949) 552-2260

Sushilicious on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Pooch Purple Reign said...

O M G that made me so hungry right now..... and there is no sushi in my town :(
i love the name of the place too !
wish i was there
~laura

OCEater said...

Wow, good looking food there. I am going to have to head over there. Thanks for the tip!

Kat said...

Aww I am so sorry to hear that Laura... I hope they will open a sushi place soon!!! Do you at least have any good supermarkets with good sashimi or sushi nearby?


Hey OCEater! Thanks, they are really nice there. I heard from my friend last night that they are having a private twitter event for the customers if you ever want to check it out. If you ever go there just tell them about being a foodie/blogger and they will welcome you with open arms ^_-. I don't know if I have any pull, but you can say you heard from me and hopefully they will treat u extra nice! O=9 not that they aren't already.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin