Monday, June 9, 2008

Out In The Boonies

All the SF posts from now on, are of course back posts. How I miss SF and it's dine about week! SOB SOB SOB I wish I was back up there for the awesome dining deals. Instead, I will talk about a good deal in SF. Stinky Tofu and I went to try out Firefly in Noe Valley. I tried to depict the cute metal firefly that flashes in front at night. They have a nice deal of $35 3-course meal where you can choose any appetizer, entrée, and dessert from the menu.
It was quite a ways away from SOMA and it's located at the end of all the small shops. You are basically only there to eat and nothing else. I would definitely call and make reservations because they are super busy. On their website they stated that they would love to talk to you as their reason for not having online reservations. Stinky Tofu and I ended up being late and missed our reservation time, but they were kind to put us on the top of the list and still seated us pretty fast. The people there was friendly and with a smile.
They brought bread that's probably from Acme with a special spread. It was a curry chick pea spread that I really liked on the bread. Definitely was something different and healthy. I also decided to get a glass of Moscato d'Asti with meal.
Stinky Tofu and I both chose the same appetizer, Shrimp and Sea Scallop Potstickers with Sesame Soy Dipping Sauce. The menu often changes and this dish sounded the best at that time. I agree with the reviews online that the potstickers were generously filled with shrimp and scallops. The potstickers and dipping sauce were decent. They give a very generous portion for a pre-fixe menu. It's definitely worthwhile for the price you pay, but not something that I would die for.
I decided to try the Grilled Alaskan Halibut with Warm Truffled Potato Salad, Asparagus, Hen of the Woods Mushrooms and Grilled Red Onion Favetta. Stinky Tofu was being weird that night. We both wanted the same dishes, but he thought that was weird and decided to try another dish. I am fine with people having the same dish. Don't know why it was such a big deal to him. The portions were generous and I really liked the simplistic clean flavor of the halibut. It was cooked to perfection, but a little under seasoned. Eating the components together with the fish made it much more complete and tasty. I didn't really care for the potato salad, even though they were truffled. The entire dish had a very earthy feel and taste that was light and pleasurable. I began to enjoy the dish more and more as I thought about it after I got home.
Stinky Tofu decided to try the Grilled Lamb Sirloin with Pimentón Roasted Potatoes, Watercress Shallot Salad, Roasted Garlic Jus and Fried Chick Peas. There definitely was a generous amount of lamb, but I thought the meat was a little tough for my liking. Nonetheless, the meat still tasted fine. This dish definitely was on the heavier side. I personally didn't like all the components because it was loaded with chick peas. For my dish, I actually ate all the vegetable components.
For dessert I chose to get the Tomme de Crayuese and Sardo Maturo Cheese with Sherry Roasted Medjool Dates, Hazelnuts, and Toasted Baguette. They gave a pretty generous amount of cheese. I really liked the roasted hazelnuts that were slightly glazed. The dates complimented the cheeses. I only really liked the Tomme de Crayuese because the Sardo Maturo Cheese is raw milk and it always has a distinct after taste. Stink Tofu decided to try the Coconut-Pineapple Sorbet with Coconut Mousse, Palm Sugar-Star Anise Roasted Pineapple and Coconut Macaroon. He was being very adventurous I must say. We both were curious about the star anise in a dessert. Surprisingly, it was delicious! You can barely taste the star anise on the pineapples. It only brought out the sweetness of the pineapple. This dessert was very light and delectable.
All in all it was a nice meal. Nothing really blew my mind away. The dessert was definitely interesting and I enjoyed my fish. I thought it was a good deal. Of course I picked the best dishes and the most expensive. ^_~ If you add up what the appetizer, main course, and dessert it would be $10.50 + $23.50 + $9.50 = $43.50. I would probably come back to this place again some day, after I have tried all the wonderful restaurants in the Bay Area. It's definitely a cozy place to have a meal. I must say I think we were the youngest people there. The food was solid and the service friendly. There menu keeps changing depending on what ingredients are fresh, so there's always something new to try if I ever go back.

Firefly
4288 24th St
San Francisco, CA 94114
(415) 821-7652
Firefly on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin