Sunday, August 1, 2010

The first time I ever went to 230 Forest Ave was when E had her bachelorette day out. This is my 3rd trip around. i didn't have a great experience last time but Holly wanted to lunch here. Sure, why not? I'll give them one last chance. The place looks the exact same. Space is tight and you can really gt to know your neighbors! lol They have a bar near the entrance. I've always felt that 230 Forest Ave completely embodies the Laguna Beach vibe.
They offer fresh hot bread with their homemade spread of Olives. I can easily fill up on their bread.
In my memory, I recall that the appetizers were the best part of the meal. I played smart this time and decided to just go for two appetizers for lunch. =D The Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp caught my immediately. I had a similar appetizer at The Olive Kitchen and Bar a month ago and it left a lasting impression. How can you ever go wrong with delicious shrimp enveloped by prosciutto. Yum! At 230 Forest Ave they lay it on top of fresh Tomato, Mozzarella, Basil, and drizzled with Herb Pesto & Balsamic Vinegar. The shrimps were plump and the prosciutto was wonderfully crisp. I highly recommend this appetizer. Should have ordered two of these and I'd be set!
On my first trip I remember that the Sugarcane Tenderloin marinated in Sweet Soy with Mango Slaw was very good. Doesn't it sound great on paper? For some reason that day the meat was a bit chewy and the sauce somehow tasted fishy. I had Holly try it and she felt the same way. For a while I debated on what I should do but this was just not edible IMHO and I was afraid of their service. Little did I know they were super friendly and happy to help exchange the appetizer. Bonus points for the service.
I exchanged it for the Hoisin BBQ Duck and Brie Spring Rolls. The description said that its Cucumber Slaw served with Sweet and Sour Sauce. It actually tasted looked and tasted like julienne scallions and carrots. I couldn't really taste the brie and there was barely any duck in there for me. It was not bad, but I wouldn't order this dish again. I'd definitely stick to the Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp, delish!
Holly opted for the Soup and Salad combo with Field Greens and their Maui Onion Soup. The soup was covered with Gruyère Cheese and Provençal Croutons. I thought the soup was very sweet and savory. The cheese was perfectly melted and encrusted the bowl. You can never go wrong with melted cheese on bread. *drool*
All in all I am glad that I gave them a 3rd chance. The service was much better than the last trip with their speedy and delightful attitude. I normally feel super guilty about sending things back or complaining, hence I just write and complain on my site. They made me feel comfortable with my choice, which is important to enjoy the meal and leave a warm feeling inside. Definitely worth a return visit in the future.

230 Forest Ave
230 Forest Ave
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
(949) 494-2545
230 Forest on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin