Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A bunch of us made plans to get some crawfish and to try some place new. We all agreed on trying Claws in Garden Grove. Of course, little did we know, that the weather gods were not smiling upon us that day. There was heavy rain and it was freezing cold outside. Ironically, Claws was just as cold as the outside or even colder but without the cold rain! It was freezing inside and I kept my sweater on. Brrrrr! The decor was your typical corny captain's hole! lol Arrr me matey! ^_-
They have tons of plasma TVs all over. The tables and chairs are wooden-plastic chairs glossed. There is a huge pirate by the cashier and a cute shrimp by the door. It was pretty empty when we got there and our friend who got there first had been sitting there by himself for a while because we were stuck in traffic. Don't worry, he had 2 beers while waiting! lol Of course with our luck they did not have crawfish as well... I guess it's just not in season right now.
We started the night off with Crunchy Cajun Rolls because PK recommended it. They looked like your regular egg rolls but flatter. I actually really enjoyed the flavor and texture. The inside was very creamy with shreds of Crawfish and there was a creamy sauce. It was crispy, piping hot, and flavorful. Did I mention that I love most things fried! Just thinking about it makes me want to head back right now! Any takers? ^_^
My Twin (that will be his nickname for now on lol) really wanted some Raw Oysters so we ordered a dozen to share. I was very skeptical in eating raw oysters in such a joint, but they were actually very sweet.
They tasted very fresh. We were given Cocktail Sauce and Limes. It's not the usual way I eat my oysters but it went well together. The mixture only enhanced the taste and sweetness of the oysters.
We decided to order the 10 pieces Cajun Wings Medium. Maybe I am the odd one out, but I thought they were way too salty and lacked the Cajun flavor. Everyone really liked them but I think the ones at Boiling Crab are much more flavorful and crisp. The wings here were not that crispy but still juicy. I just felt the flavor was too 1-dimensional and more of a Vietnamese flair than Cajun.
PK and I debated on what else to order. The girls were the ones in charge! ^_- In the end we decided to get the Jambalaya and added Crawfish Tails for $2 extra. The menu wasn't clear and I thought it was a cup of soup or something. We had to stop and ask our server where it was. I had an inkling that the crawfish was the tiny minuscule pieces embedded in the jambalaya. My fears were confirmed, but the dish was not bad. I wished there was more and bigger crawfish. The rice was soft, chewy, and flavorful. It definitely was not the best jambalaya I have ever had but decent and packed full of ingredients.
The main course was of course Shrimp with the Cannon Ball sauce. We ordered 1lb. Mild, 2lb. Medium, and added Sausage, Corn, & Potatoes. I thought the shrimp that they used was very nicely sized and tasty. The flavor was definitely not as flavorful as Boiling Crab, but I will give them credit where credit is due. I'd definitely come back for the shrimp if they still use the same quality. Overall the taste was not bad and what they lacked there they made up for in shrimp quality.
I ordered the Strawberry Lemonade because they used real strawberries and had endless refills. The drink was not bad and I got my money's worth. Being Asian and all... I gave PK some sips too ^_- Of course she had her own drink as well, but mine was more worthwhile.
All in all the food was not bad and the service was decent. Now all they have to do is keep the temperature above freezing, I will be a happy camper! I saw that they have Happy Hour and there are discounts on many of the dishes we ordered. Mmm I will have to go back sometime soon to give them another go. They are not as good as Boiling Crab in flavor but at least we don't have to wait in the long line or show up and find out that they are still in renovation! *another story* I have been on an exploration for new crawfish place and Claws will be added in. It's decent enough for a re-visit, especially after I find out when Happy Hour is! ^_-

Claws

12093 Brookhurst St
Garden Grove, CA 92840
(714) 590-1295
Claws on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin