Friday, December 5, 2008

I really like the photo with the Strawberry on top of my favorite cake at Sweet Lady Jane. It is just so eye-popping and tempting. I need to stop by again and give them my money!
They are located near Melrose Ave. and La Cienega Blvd. I have been coming here since college and I keep coming back. The prices are generally $6 for a slice, a pie, or a tart. They also offer cookies, scones, pecan rolls, and more that are priced differently. There are different special desserts served on the weekends.
Now they offer these beautiful mini cakes that are well-designed. The Peach Pies looked splendid and so inviting. There was also a nice Lemon Meringue tucked in the back. I was almost greedy enough to buy everything in sight, but then reality hits again! Unfortunately I'm not a millionaire and this will cost me literally and physically! lol
Be sure to come here as early as possible to get the cake you want by the slice. There have been many times that they run out and I am forced to buy a small cake her to satisfy my craving. To be safe, I would recommend that you call ahead to reserve the cake.
They are extremely popular for Hollywood parties. I have run into random people picking up cakes for after parties and more. All the cakes are pretty and elegant. I personally recommend the Chocolate Cakes and not the Yellow Cakes.
Tofu and I decided to try the Custard with Fresh Fruits. The crust tasted very awkward and didn't compliment the custard. I thought it needed to be firmer because it was a mess to eat. Sadly, this was the first and only thing he had. He should have stuck with one of my favorites. Sometimes it's better to stick with what you love. I will be quite skeptical to try something new.
My favorite cake is the Chocolate Cake with Fresh Strawberries. The chocolate is velvety and thick. Everything comes together swimmingly. Surprisingly the sweetness of the chocolate does not take away from the natural sweetness of the strawberries but enhances the taste. The chocolate layer in the back gets a little too sweet for me by itself so I distribute the layer throughout each bite.
What I love as a weekend special is the Jane-oli! It's suppose to be on the weekends and it's not every day that you can find it. This time I decided to ask and they told me that they would be able to make one in about 20 mins. Of course I didn't mind waiting for the chance to sink my teeth into that heavenly delight! To make things even better, the server brought it and told me that it's on the house! I was like WHOA! Score! A Nutty Candy Shell envelopes a flavorful and creamy White Chocolate Mousse. At which the ends are dipped into Milk Chocolate to seal the dessert. The crisp yet delicate texture of the shell enhances the silky texture inside. I need to go there again soon and get some more!
All in all this place has some great desserts if you know what to order, but of course everyone has their own tastes. Overall I like this shop and it gives off a nice feel. It's a quaint store that fits the image of places on Melrose Ave. They have a small seating area where you can enjoy your scrumptious desserts on the spot but keep in mind they do fill up fast at certain times. This place is an once in a while guilty pleasure. I have their number programmed into my cell phone for when those urges surface.

Sweet Lady Jane

8360 Melrose Ave
West Hollywood, CA 90069
(323) 653-7145
Sweet Lady Jane on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kat!
Keep to the peach pies, or you will have to find someone to bear the responsibility for a bulging waist!
LOL
I agree that all very tempting, but my own sweet tooth would go for the fruit!
Cheers,
Robert-Gilles

Anonymous said...

someone's name is tofu?

Kat said...

Dear Robert-Gilles,

Haha it's too late about the bulging waste. My quest for the best foods has not helped that waist line O=9

You would love the Chocolate and Fresh Strawberry Cake. You get the best of both worlds! ^_-

Kat said...

Haha Matt... I don't use real names on here so they all have nicknames... he is a friend of mine and I decided to call him Tofu... I will email you why O=9 There's a story behind all the names lol

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat,

Glad you got to visit SLJ. I used to live nearby, so here's some tips that I hope you find useful.

1) The scones are out of this world if you can get a fresh one around 9am.
2) The "tiramisu" and "english trifle" are to die for. Luckily, they are only served on Fridays and Saturdays.
3) Triple Berry Cake is their most popular item. I've even run into celebs who've ordered it for "take home" (e.g. Lindsay Lohan and Geena Davis).
4) Service sucks, so being forewarned is being forearmed. Seems like they've made efforts to improve service because they've received so many bad reviews about this.
5) Mr. Jane (Jane's husband, forgot his name) swears by the bread pudding and he's actually British.

Unknown said...

Wonderful, just what a blog it is! This blog has provided the helpful data to us continue the good work.
see it here

Unknown said...

I was pinning away for such type of blogs, thanks for posting this for us.
hotel booking search engine

Anonymous said...

Your articles make whole sense of every topic.
https://www.travelblog.org/North-America/United-States/Florida/Miami/blog-1032098.html

Blog Widget by LinkWithin