Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I blame DC! lol He suggested that Đồng Nguyên was known for their Hainan Chicken as well and since Savoy Kitchen was not open Sunday, I decided why not. To be fair... it was not really hist fault since he has never been lol but I won't let him forget that he used me test out the place! lol We headed on over after dinner since it was just in the next plaza. The place was pretty full and I walked up to the counter to place an order for take out. Keep in mind that it is definitely a broken English place. I just ordered 1 Hainan Chicken & Rice for home. Thank goodness I was not greedy that night. It was $7.05 with tax. This style of Hainan Chicken was definitely not for me, but I will come back one day to try their Bo Luc Lac that seems to be popular.
What a waste of my money. I went home and the box looked like there could be potential, but one whiff... and whoooooweeee I can smell the strong pungency of the chicken. I don't like it when the chicken has that stench because it could be a sign that it's not fresh or cooked badly. Looking at the box, I was thinking where was the Ginger Sauce to kill the intense chicken flavor? Sadly this place is very very Vietnamese and they give you a sauce that is a hybrid of their typical Sweet & Sour Sauce with diced Garlic. There was no way that this sauce would help mellow out the chicken flavor like the soy sauce and ginger sauce that Savoy Kitchen gave. I am so sorry that I cheated on you Savoy Kitchen!!! This has taught me not to stray and to think that Hainan Chicken is good everywhere. You do it, just the way I like it! ^_-
Not sure what I was suppose to do with this soup. Instruction manual please! lol

Đồng Nguyên

1433 E Valley Blvd
Alhambra, CA 91801
(626) 300-8618
Dong Nguyen on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Exile Kiss said...

Hi Kat,

Thanks for the warning on this place; I had heard about some recommendations for this place as well and was thinking of trying it.

Kat said...

Haha thanks for visiting! ^_^ I was my friend's guinea pig. The Hainan Chicken here was something else... It could just not be my thing, but I will give their other food a try when I am in the mood for Vietnamese food. For now, I only go to Savoy for my Hainan Chicken fill O=9 which I have 2 boxes of in my fridge! lol

Unknown said...

Man, that DC is dumb! LOL

Ya, thanks to your warning, I'll stick with Savoy's....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin