Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The first time I went to Chris' & Pitt's was with HW and gang to celebrate her B-day. I have never heard of this place but it totally reminds me of Claim Jumper but more themed and old school. Once you step through the doors you will see the old style red booths and people who call you "honey" or "doll" type of place. It is very nostalgic and different from my everyday place. That night I was running a little late but nowhere near as late as HW. I found my way to the bar where another had arrived early like me, but I didn't know who or what they look like. Eventually we found each other then chatted and waited until the rest arrived. Everyone was super friendly and we were all hungry by this time.
What better way to start off the night than with a nice THICK Chocolate Milk Shake. It is served fresh and in a giant cup. Whooooweee was it SWEET. Totally reminiscent of an old fashioned diner but fun to drink. HW and I had a bunch of laughs trying to suck some milk shake up through the straws. I guess you can say we were training our lung capacity.
Appetizers? Sure why not! We chose Onion Rings and Onion Flower.... both fried onions! haha The rings were lightly battered and fried to a golden crust. Apparently we can never get enough of fried onions lol. The onion rings were nicely crispy and didn't have a heavy batter. It went great with Ketchup. The onion flower was huge and great to share with everyone. Just rip each petal off and dip in their special sauce or a Ranch dressing to give it that extra kick. The batter was much different than the rings. It was flakier and seasoned. Definitely great to share for a big group.
All of our meals came with the choice of soup or salad and I chose soup. It's a Beef and Barley soup. The flavors were thick but reminiscent of the canned soup you get from Campbell's. I wasn't that big a fan of barley so I just had a little bit. Besides, the food was coming out fast and you got to get it while it's hot. ^_-
Since there will be too many people to name after this I am just going to specify the dishes that HW and I had. O=9 The winner of the night for me was the Chicken Fried Style Steak smothered in Rich Country Style Gravy. It has been eons since I last had Chicken Fried Steak so I would never even think about ordering this, but after here... MMmmmmm it is on my list of yummy foods. The portions are very generous and she happened to get a nice juicy thick cut battered to perfection. All the flavors came together perfectly. To be fair... my 2nd trip/taste was not as good as the first. =*(
I ordered the Porterhouse Steak because I was hungry and wanted something big tee hee. Their steaks are suppose to be aged 14-21 days for natural tenderness. I thought the steak needed more flavor and was a bit bland at parts but still tender. The flavors were not too bad once I added some salt. I actually didn't feel like finishing this and took it home for the parental units and they really enjoy it. My Mom thought it was super tender. This wasn't really a "Porterhouse" in my opinion because it was so thinly cut that it felt like a mini mini T-bone. Still it was not bad but I wished that I had ordered the Chicken Fried Steak. =9
The Buttered Garlic Bread and Mashed Potatoes with Gravy that came with the meal were good. Of course not as delicious as the ones served in Claim Jumper but they had their own special simplicity.
We also tried the Full Rack of Baby Back Ribs that has been Hickory Smoked for many hours. The meat fell right off the bone and the flavor was good. It isn't the best baby back I have ever had but for the price, I can't complain. It was only $19.95 and you get all the sides to go with everything. Good ol' comfort food.
Another person ordered the Home Style Meatloaf. The pieces were big and the best part was that they put BACON on top! haha That was the main reason her friend ordered this. We were all envious of the juicy bacon! lol
All in all we had a lot of fun and the people there were super friendly. We were all full and each took home our leftovers whilst trying to finish up our shakes. It was a great evening of fun and celebration. Thanks HW for introducing this place and sharing a piece of that yummy Chicken Fried Steak. It was a trip back in time, which is good to take once in a while. The best part is the prices and portion. =P

Chris' & Pitt's
601 N Euclid St
Anaheim, CA 92801
(714) 635-2601
Chris and Pitts on Urbanspoon

1 comments:

Kat said...

So SAD! They just lost their lease and will be replaced with a Jollibee. =*( No more Chicken Fried Steak!~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin