Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I have been so lazy about doing this post, but it's one of my habits while I am up in the Bay Area. Hog Island Oyster Co. is always on the top 100 restaurants in the Bay Area and rightly so! ^_^ This is one of the few places where I can be satisfied without having meat in my main dish! Yes, I said it... I can live without having any type of meat or fish in my main course here! Of course that doesn't mean I don't fill my tummy with some nice raw oysters first! ^_- Ms. Lin and I always come on Saturdays because of the Farmer's Market. Kill two birds with one stone you might say. Although if you come during any of the Farmer's Market, it's always a long wait. Sometimes I am willing to not go on a busy day so that it will be a much more coming and relax meal.
They have been expanding their small menu a lot. We were very tempted to get their Frutti de Mare. They always have very fresh seafood displayed and shucked right in front of you. We always start off a meal with a Dozen Oyster Bar Mix. It usually comes with the Hog Island Sweetwater and Kumamoto for sure. Then the other 4 are what is in season at that time. The ones shown are the Sabavi from Samish Bay, WA (Atlantic); Kusshi, Deep Bay, BC (Pacific); Island Creek, Duxbury, MA (Atlantic); and the Penn Cove Flats, Discovery Bay, WA (European). My favorites are usually the Sweetwater and Kumamoto. They both have a distinct sweet flavor. Of course you can drive far Far FAR away to pick up real fresh Hog Island Oysters and shuck them yourselves at home. We were tempted the one time I went up there, but I rather pay more to have it done here. ^_^ Besides the Mignonette is already made here and goes great. We are both too lazy to do our own work. =P
Since they do change their menu based on what is available, I was delighted to see a new item. Normally Ms. Lin doesn't eat cooked oysters but since her beloved sister wanted it... and the fact that truffles were involved... we ordered it! ^_- The Oyster Winter Truffle with Truffled Butter and Shaved Winter Truffle was SUPERB! As soon as they brought out the dish you could smell the aromatic essence of the truffles. My mouth is drooling just thinking about it. Each bite was infused with truffle flavor! It was seasoned to perfection. I had to use the yummy Acme bread to absorb the remaining sauces!
Okay here comes the reason why I love this place. Of course after the Oysters with Winter Truffle making its awesome debut, I will be coming back often praying that it will be on the menu! ^_^ I come here solely for the Grilled Cheese Sandwich! It's $11 for a cheese sandwich. I know you are all thinking that's a ridiculous amount to pay and I would agree with you... Until I tried it! Now I dream about it! I have turned Burumun into a fan as well. Man I want one right now! ^_^ It's Cow Girls' Mezzo Secco, Cave-Aged Gruyere, and Fromage Blanc served with House Made Pickled Vegetables. Ms. Lin and I often think about going to the Cow Girl Creamery in the same building and making our own sandwich. Sadly, laziness wins out. =P
All in all the food here is great and service goes up & down, but I am willing to ignore all that as I want the yummy food! ^_^ Usually the service is fine. It's worth the wait and it's a tradition! I think people who go up to the Bay Area needs to check out the Farmer's Market on Saturday and to go to Hog Island Oyster Co.! If you have never been, then you have never really experienced SF. It's about time you head on over and join in the culture, fun, & great food!Hog Island Oyster Company on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Catching up on your blogs! OMG! I'm drooling over the grilled cheese! I've never been to Hog's Island because I'm not an oyster lover but I might just go and try the grilled cheese sandwich!!!

Kat said...

OMG YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN!??!?! I AM SHOCKED!!! Where has Ms. BumbleBee been taking you!?!?! You have at least been to the Farmer's Market right??? The cheese sandwich is to die for! ^_^ Yum Yum. We should totally take a trip together and explore! ^_-

raybanoutlet001 said...

polo ralph lauren
clippers jersey
kate spade outlet
moncler jackets
coach outlet
jordan shoes
cheap oakley sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
patriots jerseys
prada shoes

Blog Widget by LinkWithin