Sunday, January 25, 2009

As many of you have noticed... I am definitely not a vegetable/tofu kind of person... in fact, I go out of my way to avoid them. O=) What am I going to do when my "1st dinner" ran late and I promised to meet up with DC for "2nd dinner" in LA. We kept trying to think of a place nearby but it was already pretty late at night and there were not that many choices available near Korean Town. I was actually very opposed to going to a Tofu Pot place but it seemed like I had no choice and it seemed the simplest solution. Since I already had dinner, it made sense that I wouldn't want to spend too much money on a filler meal so BCD Tofu House seemed like a good choice. It was more to hang out and catch up with DC than to really be eating.
The place was actually very packed for being so late at night and why not... what else is open 24 hours? lol It's a Friday night so it was not surprising that there were still a lot of people and about at night. Actually a group of DC's friends were just done with their dinner so he called up one of his friends to join us and hang out. It's a pretty big restaurant and the people work fast to get you your food.
They immediately brought us a wide array of Banchan. This was the first time that I saw a whole Fried Fish as a banchan and it was pretty tasty. I could have done without the bones but it was worth the effort to tough through. The Spicy Seafood banchan was very tasty. I wish we had more time to enjoy all the banchan before the main course arrived since the tables were very small and became super crowded as they brought out more stuff.
Since this is my first time having Dubu Jjigae, I learned that we get a stone pot of Rice that is scooped into a side bowl... then they add water to the stone pot for the rice to soak. DC made a comment that, "ooooh your pot looks better", since mine was more burnt. I guess more flavor, but I wouldn't know the difference. Just by looking at this, I knew I wouldn't like the "guo di" remaining burnt rice in the pot mixed with water. I told DC that we could switch if he wanted to.
Time for my signature collages. I asked DC to "guest star" in the photo by cracking my raw egg while I snap the photos. Afterwards I tried to stir and take photos at the same time, which didn't help me break the consistency of the egg before it cooked. The Dubu Jjigae came in a piping hot stone pot. I ordered the Assorted Tofu Soup with Beef, Shrimp, and Clam. The flavor was not bad but the clams were disgusting. They had a very strong muddy flavor that ruined the taste. I actually really like jjigae and rice, but I could do without the meat and tofu. O=9 It might sound weird but flavorful soup and rice is the best combo.
All in all the food was aiiight. I am still not a big fan of tofu pot as I knew I wouldn't. At least I am open to trying new things and DC better feel special that I break my tofu pot vow for him! lol My family was shocked to hear that I went to such a place since I am not a big fan of tofu. Still, fun times were had as many embarrassing stories of DC came out when MK arrived. Good times. =P Still, I paid the price because I didn't get home until super late since we chatted for a while and then there was a huge accident on the 101 that basically shut down the freeway! What I do fo my friends! lol

BCD Tofu
3575 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90010
(213) 382-6677
BCD Tofu House on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The tofu pot looks interesting. Like you, I'm not a huge fan of tofu, but I would definitely give it a try - it's definitely fun to try new things.

Kat said...

Thanks 5 Star Foodie, I don't like tofu most of the time but when food is done well and right... it's all good ^_^ I have been eating a little more tofu in Taiwanese Spicy Ma La Hot Pots... so good! In the jjigae... I rather just have the soup O=P Hope you are having a great weekend! ^_^

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for the "guest star" mention. Maybe next time we should hit up SKD since I think that's the best Korean SDB place around.....or maybe not :P

I love this stuff, especially the banchan. Mmmmmmm...I think I could use some RIGHT now @ 2:30AM :)

Matt said...

soon dubu is the best! how can you not love it ahhh

Kat said...

Haha you are famous now Danny! We all know what your hand looks like! lol I am not going to another SDB place with you! >_<# lol Next time it is allllll about the AYCE KBBQ! ^_-

Matt, I know... but I hate anything "healthy" lol... I like the soup, but no thanks on the Tofu... besides... I like Jjigae with Kimchi more O=9

Blog Widget by LinkWithin