Saturday, January 24, 2009

I have been to Olives in Vegas so many times. It is always on the list to take new people. Alldark wanted some good food and not at a heavy price. Surprisingly he had never been to Olives before so I decided that this should be our luncheon meet the next day. We had only departed less than 7 hours ago. Needless to say we were both lacking sleep in Vegas... did I mention I drove the whole way the night before? lol Yes, I am that crazy. As always I have to put up a photo of their amazing Bread Basket. I feel that their Onion Bread has changed a bit, but still good. Due to Ms. Lin's warning that they were under renovation, I called ahead to make sure that they were done and everything is good.
As always I have to order the ever wonderful Tuna Carpaccio with Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes, Crisp Pasta Cracker, Lemon Aioli, Capers, and Parsley. Did I mention I don't share? ^_^ So I made Alldark to order his own and I think he liked it. Of course this also made him pretty full. It is almost a meal in itself. The potatoes on the bottom were simply heavenly as usual and the whole dish comes together in perfect harmony. You can find a wide array of textures throughout this dish. The best part is you can pass this off as being "healthy" lol.
We decided to share our dishes. Since I have been here many times I know my way around the good and the bad. I chose the Chargrilled Lamb Chops with Creamy Garlic & Chickpea Puree, Baby Spinach Insalata, Pine Nuts, Raisins, and Pomegranate Brown Butter. Always a safe choice and so far has not disappointed. I will say that the hummus can be a bit much but it does go great with the salad. The lamb was cooked nicely and made a hearty meal.
For the other dish Alldark chose the Cast Iron Seared Pacific Northwest Salmon with Crème Fraîche Mashed Potato, Smoked Salmon Insalata, Red Onion, Caper Dijon Vinaigrette, and Micro Dill. The salmon was nicely cooked and the crisp skin enhanced the entire texture. It was a very light and tasty dish. The flavors work well together and compliment one another. All the acidic flavors help bring out the delectable taste of the salmon. This just might be another dish I will add to my repertoire.

All in all a great time with a good friend. Don't know when the next reunion be... hopefully not too long and since he will be moving back to California... more chances to meet up and chat ^_^.

Olives

3600 Las Vegas Blvd S
Las Vegas, NV 89109
(702) 693-8181

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a yummy meal. The lamb and salmon look wonderful.

Ms. Lin said...

Yup yup - I love Olives. The tuna is always yummy!

Kat said...

Thanks 5 Star Foodie! You should definitely check out Todd English's restaurant if you are in Vegas. It's actually a chain, but I am not sure if there is one closer to you. I have only been to the one in Vegas.

Ms. Lin - The Tuna Carpaccio is to die for! ^_^

Blog Widget by LinkWithin