Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I have driven by this place many times and my friend asked me if I had try this place. So I decided to try it the next day. My best bud went with me and she told me that they have weird hours and are often closed randomly. The prices were quite high for what you get and especially in the cheap area they are located. Since we were the only ones there, you would think they'd have nice service. I think the owner was there and she had this attitude about her, it's not like she has that many customers! Warning, I like to take good pictures and make them look nice but pictures are deceiving!
The Petit Fours looked really cute, so I wanted to try them out. There was a guy helping me, but he had no idea which was which so he called out this lady that looked like the owner. I find it a little ridiculous that their staff does not know what was in the case and the lady, owner, who came out was rude and impatient. Geez, how do you plan to sell stuff with that attitude! No wonder no one was in there. I tried three of the Petit Fours. An Espresso Bean one that had no espresso flavor except the tiny bean on top. The Citrus tart, made with three different citruses, was good. I also tried the Crème Brulée tart, which was only normal. The only thing I found interesting was that the tarts were all lined with white chocolate, which was probably used to keep the moist custard away from the crust. These were my perspectives because the mean lady wasn't any help to describe her pastries. Usually they would describe their creations with joy or passion, but don't expect that from this place!
Since this would probably be the first and last time I come here, I decided to try a slice of cake. There weren't many choices to get a slice and they didn't look that appetizing. I ordered some type of triple cheese cake, or something to that sorts. This was such a big let down! It had no flavor and just tasted like nasty cream. The cake was a little dry too. One word, YUCK!
The only thing that we liked were the decorated cakes. They looked very pretty, but I don't think they would taste very good. The cakes were nice, but I think you can get just as beautifully decorated from any decent bakery. I just like the pictures, so I am posting them up.
All in all it was NOT worth it at all. The petit fours were $2.50 each for bite size pieces and the lame excuse for a cake was $3.50. Even the slice of the cake was measly! I liked the tarts, but everything else was not worth the time nor calories. If they had better service, I might have given the place another try for regular food but they even lack in service. Makes you wonder if they can do anything right. I definitely won't be coming back.

Black Forest Bakery Cafe

21731 Lake Forest Dr Ste 104
Lake Forest, CA 92630
(949) 768-6101
Black Forest Bakery Cafe on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

tbirdjb said...

I don't know how you could have had such a bad impression of this place. I've never been disappointed with the quality of their baked goods, and they are always very nice to me. They're a hard working couple and the food is good. You should have tried the tiramisu...that would have turned your frown upside down. Give them another try.

twopartssugar said...

I've been dying to try this place out...hmmmm. If you ever want to try a tasty sweet jump on the cupcake band wagon and go for one of our yummy cupcakes! twopartssugar.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin