Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Luckily there was one somewhat close to where I live. I know you ramen lovers out there will probably judge me for not going to all 3 ramen festivals since I am within driving distance to all. This President's Day weekend my friends and I decided to meet up at Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa. Great sales and an all out eating event. I went a little too overboard on the sashimi sale.

Parking there was horrendous but they had free valet. As I pulled out, the lady in front of me rammed the car behind her. I am still traumatized!
They served the Asameshi Maeda Honten ramen from Asahikawa, the shoyu-tonkotsu ramen. The broth was prepared with soy sauce, pork bones, and a fish-based dashi. There are thin slices of pork, onions, and a quarter of an egg. It had a very earthy taste to it, but a little too salty for my palette. The noodles were nice and firm. All of this for $6.99, so not a bad deal. Personally I like the ramen at Momofuku in New York much better because it was packed full of flavor but leaving you a very light feeling. I felt that the shoyu-tonkotsu was very strong and didn't leaving me feel refreshed.
They had fresh roasted chestnuts outside, so I picked up a bag on my way out for my family. It was very tasty and that says a lot coming from me, someone who hates chestnut. They also gave you a small pick to crack them open, very cute!

All in all it was a lot of fun. I love the events that Mitsuwa has once in a while. The ramen was good but not my cup of tea. This kind of makes me want to go to the other Mitsuwas to try all the ramen, but not enough to drive far. If the event is near your place, you should really go to give it a try! I had a lot of fun.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin